Innovation is our lifeblood, and our engineers challenge themselves daily to find innovative solutions in safety and productivity.
Join our engineering team and your role could involve consulting on construction sites, building our software or developing products in one of our R&D innovation centres. You might specialize in mechanics, optics, chemicals or metals…firestop, anchors, corrosion or seismics. Whatever your field, you’ll play an important part in some really exciting projects at the forefront of technology.
You’ll have a strong engineering background, but we’re especially interested in your passion to learn and your ability to combine complex design concepts with down-to-earth people skills.
After all, our products are designed for our customers, so personal engagement is crucial for us.
“I love the fact that my job isn’t just technical. It involves planning and dealing with people too. The culture is brilliant. It’s challenging, yes, but it’s friendly and welcoming too. It’s all about teamwork, and your ideas are really taken on board.”
Andreas, Head of Corporate Research and Technology
Different ways to innovate
As a member of our engineering team, you’ll be exactly that – part of a team. Our engineering model relies entirely on teamwork, which is one of the things that makes the job so enjoyable and rewarding.
There are three main roles in the scope of engineering, and you can choose which role best sounds like you: working as a field engineer with clients on big construction sites; researching and developing innovative product solutions; or building the software that makes the work of our customers easier and safer.
Here’s more about each exciting role.
• This is a consultative role where you’ll work on construction sites with designers and architects, as well as structural engineers and company leaders.
• Engaging early in the design stage, you’ll forge these relationships by showing the value we can add when Hilti solutions are specified into the design - from the anchors or fastening systems to the tools and software that go with them.
• You’ll then help the designer bring things to life by translating designs to the construction and product teams, including contractors, marketing and sales.
• Yours is one of the most important roles at Hilti, as you’re the connection between design and sales, the transition from plan to reality. Along the way, you’ll address any design needs, building codes and potential problems.
• There’s no manual for the job, as any big construction project comes with its own unique hurdles. So you’ll be an agile thinker who relishes the prospect of finding bespoke solutions to unexpected complications.
• A background in civil, structural or mechanical engineering will be useful, as will experience in architectural design. But what we really want is your eagerness to learn and your ability to combine technical talk with people skills.
Research & development engineer
• R&D is the driving force of our business and part of our DNA. It’s how we continue to innovate over our competitors and it’s why we invest more than 6% of our turnover every year in exploring new solutions in diamond systems, measuring tools, firestops, anchors and the rest.
• As an R&D engineer, you’ll work at the cutting edge of technology with lots of responsibility from very early on.
• We believe that great ideas can come from anywhere. So you’ll be part of a diverse R&D team, with a mix of graduates, post-graduates and experienced professionals with a wide variety of expertise.
• If your ideas are ahead of their time, we’ll get them carefully patented so we can work on developing them into innovations of the future.
• You’ll be involved in developing products through their entire life cycle, with tangible results every time. It means a huge sense of accomplishment and a unique insight into how the world is built.
• It also means exposure to every function of the process - production, operations, supply, project management, marketing and sales - as you see your products go through the chain.
• Working directly with our customers and production facilities around the globe, your job involves ensuring the connection between theoretical and practical application of our products.
• We have world-leading R&D labs in Schaan (Liechtenstein), Kaufering (Germany), Shanghai (China) and Irving (Texas, USA) - each equipped with the most modern technology to simulate applications and carry out tests.
• As a software engineer, you’ll help to build and code the software solutions that really set us apart.
• You’ll also help our clients to use our software in a way they can easily understand. It might be a case of troubleshooting, holding tutorials or producing user guides.
• This is more than a technical role: you’ll need strong communication and people skills too. Much of the job is to translate pure code into customer-friendly engineering talk.
• You’ll have constant direct access to our customers, as well as our product and marketing teams, so you can recognize their needs and how to interpret the software for them.
• You can expect to work on some really exciting products, like solutions to calculate loads, determine stress tolerances and gauge reinforcement positioning.
• You’ll also help to develop some of the testing software that we use in our R&D labs, sometimes working with external research institutes and universities.
• You’ll see products used through different generations - from project to project, from update to update - and make sure that each new benefit is realized and effectively used.
• Your degree is likely to be in software engineering, computer engineering, computer science, maths, physics or statistics. We’re especially interested in your thirst to learn and your ability to translate technical speak to people who are more used to working with sketch pads or drills.
If we expect you to come up with award-winning innovations, it’s because we’ve given you the very best training in a world-class environment. We’ll offer you all the knowledge and support you need to excel in your role, with one-to-one coaching, opportunities to upskill and personal attention to the progression of your career.
We have a very thorough people review process, where we screen everyone in the company in a yearly career performance matching process. It’s how we find opportunities to develop our people with different responsibilities, cultures and market challenges. It means we can broaden your skill set, feed your ambition and open doors for your career.
Our high performers move into leadership roles very quickly at Hilti, and 80% of our management positions are filled with internal candidates. It’s testament to how much we value our people.